The 2023 Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS) Nominating Committee has announced the candidates for the 2023 officer election. They are:
- For SVS vice president, succeeding to president-elect, and then president: Kellie Brown, MD, and Keith Calligaro, MD
- For SVS treasurer, a three-year term: Thomas Forbes, MD, and Palma Shaw, MD
Voting is under way for and will continue through 2 p.m. CDT Thursday, June 15.
This is the first year that voting not only takes place for such an extended period of time, but also during the SVS Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM). Up for election this year are the offices of SVS vice president and treasurer.
Voting is a privilege restricted to Active and Senior members in good standing, who may vote only once and cannot change their vote once recorded. Members not in good standing can pay their 2023 dues at vascular.org/invoices.
SVS members had a chance to “Meet the Candidates” at a town hall May 17. Candidates’ biographies and answers to specific questions are at vascular.org/23_24Candidates.
“We hope that by extending the voting period and offering it during VAM, with hundreds of members in attendance, more people will take advantage of the chance to let their voices be heard,” said Nominating Committee Chair Kim Hodgson, MD. “It’s our members’ opportunity to impact the future direction of our Society.”
Leaders hope more than 1,000 members cast votes this year.
Election results will be announced during the Annual Business Meeting at 12 to 1:45 p.m. Saturday, June 17, at VAM.
In December 2022, SVS members approved proposed changes to the bylaws that changed the composition of the SVS Nominating Committee. The committee size remained at seven members but the diversity of perspective was expanded. Committee members are:
- Past President: Ronald Dalman, MD
- Member-at-Large: Gilbert R. Upchurch Jr., MD
- Strategic Board Member: Linda Harris, MD
- Community Practice Section: Geetha Jeyabalan, MD
- DEI Committee: Rana Afifi, MD
- Young Surgeons Section: Chelsea Dorsey, MD