The Vascular Surgery Board (VSB) of the American Board of Surgery (ABS) is seeking director nominees to serve a six-year term beginning July 1, 2022. The VSB is comprised of approximately 12 members who represent the spectrum of vascular surgery and are responsible for both initial and continued board certification. Accordingly, the VSB is responsible for the Vascular Surgery In-training Examination (VSITE), the Qualifying Examination (QE), the Certifying Examination (CE) and the Continuous Certification Assessment (CCA).
Directors will participate in developing the various examinations and administering the annual oral examination (CE). It is the expectation that they will assume leadership roles in one of the VSB committees responsible for the examinations or those dedicated to communications or research/education. Directors must be currently certified by the ABS in vascular surgery and must remain under the age of 65 years of age during completion of their term. The time commitment is approximately 10 days per year including the oral examination, examination reviews, and biannual retreats, in addition to the various committee responsibilities.
The VSB has recently transitioned to a competency-based selection process and away from an organizational- or regional-based process to optimize its performance. Accordingly, individuals with one or more of the following competencies are sought:
- Experience in non-academic settings including rural, community and/or military settings
- Experience with the development/implementation of Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs)
- Prior service to the ABS or VSB as a question writer or examiner
Emphasis will be placed on elements of diversity across all dimensions, including race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age or other elements that bring a different voice to the organization, the VSB emphasized.
Nominees will be accepted from societies, peers, or self-nomination. All nominations will require a letter of support (i.e., completion of the Nominate/Support Form) from either an organization or from an ABMS-certified physician. Both the nominator and nominee forms must be completed for each candidate by April 15, 2022. Access the nominator and nominee forms at these links:
- Vascular Surgery Board Candidate/Nominee Form (all candidates must fill this out, whether self-nominated or nominated by an organization or another individual)
- Vascular Surgery Board Nominate/Support Form (for all nominating organizations, nominating colleagues, or colleagues supporting a self-nomination)