Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS) members have until July 31 to apply to serve on a new SVS writing group to develop a position paper on the scope of work of vascular surgery practice in diagnosing and treating vascular disease. Volunteers should have expertise and interest in this topic area.
The paper will address the following:
- Discussing the vascular surgery service line and the scope of work based on basic core and sub-competencies of a vascular surgeon
- Defining a vascular surgeon in each category and various positions
- Setting the upper limits of what is considered appropriate in terms of time utilization and expectations
- Defining the appropriate and adequate support structure needed to provide 24-hour vascular care at an institution
- Maximizing the utility and value of healthcare professionals on the team, with focus on developing recommendations for optimizing the role of advanced practice providers (APP)
- Presenting recommendations on how to deal with workforce shortages to optimize efficiency to prevent burnout
This is a one-year commitment, with volunteers expected to participate in monthly meetings, review papers and help with writing the position paper. After review, the paper will be published in the Journal of Vascular Surgery (JVS).
Those interested in participating should complete the online application—which must include a brief statement (200 words or less) regarding their experience and interest in this topic—and their CV by July 31. Applicants will be requested to fill out relevant conflicts of interest (COI) per the SVS’s COI Policy.