The Society for Vascular Surgery (SVS) has selected 24 members for the year-two cohort of the Leadership Development Program. Because of the pandemic, the program will include virtual webinars, with an in-person acknowledgement of the group at the 2021 Vascular Annual Meeting (VAM).
The Leadership Development Program grew out of a need and desire to foster leaders and to create an SVS-branded course relevant to practicing vascular surgeons, who will then be able to make an impact within the specialty.
Content highlights such diverse topics as the business and economics of health care, the science and physics of leadership, personality styles and emotional intelligence, conflict resolution and negotiation strategies, as well as a deep dive into the five practices of exemplary leadership as defined by authors James Kouzes and Barry Posner.
Faculty members include Bernadette Aulivola, MD, Ali Azizzadeh, MD, Melissa Kirkwood, MD, Amy Reed, MD, and Kenneth M. Slaw, PhD, SVS executive director.
The 24 members of cohort number two are as follows:
- Babak Abai, MD, Thomas Jefferson University, Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
- Nathan Aranson, MD, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine
- Jonathan Bath, MD, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri
- Elizabeth Blazick, MD, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine
- Kathryn Bowser, MD, Christiana Care Health Services, Avondale, Pennsylvania
- LeAnn Chavez, MD, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Randall DeMartino, MD, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
- Yana Etkin, MD, Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell, Brooklyn, New York
- Eric Hager, MD, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Glenshaw, Pennsylvania
- Joseph Hart, MD, Medical College of Wisconsin, Department of Surgery, Milwaukee
- Fernando Joglar, MD, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, San Juan
- Erin Koelling, MD, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland
- Kimberly Malka, MD, Maine Medical Center, Falmouth, Maine
- Loren Masterson, MD, Cleveland Clinic Akron General, Akron, Ohio
- Patrick Muck, MD, TriHealth-Good Samaritan Hospital, Montgomery, Ohio
- Mary Ottinger, MD, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida
- Michael Siah, MD, University of Texas Southwestern, Dallas
- Matthew Smeds, MD, St. Louis University, St. Louis
- Tze-Woei (Kevin) Tan, MD, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- Ashley Vavra, MD, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago
- Yolanda Vea, MD, PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center, Camas, Washington
- Gabriela Velazquez, MD, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Baptist Health, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Courtney Warner, MD, Albany Medical Center, Malta, New York
- Timothy Wu, MD, Jefferson Health New Jersey, Voorhees, New Jersey